Herndon Demographics

By Jun S.  Published Aug 28th, 2016


Herndon, VA is a small town just 22 miles from downtown Washington, DC. Residents benefit from all of the amenities available from the larger DC metro area but they also get to enjoy a small, charming community with diversity, economic opportunity, and a highly educated populace.


The area is an appealing community for families and they make up 72.6% of households. However, there are plenty of singles as well (27.4%). Of the 7,472 households, the average household size is 3.12 people.

This town has a diverse population. The median age of residents is 33 years old, though residents span every age range:

• 27.1% were less than 18 years old
• 10.2% from 18 to 24
• 38.3% from 25 to 44
• 20.5% from 45 to 64
• 3.9% were 65 years or older

The area is also racially diverse. Here is the breakdown by ethnicity:

• 36.2% White
• 33.6% Hispanic
• 17.9% Asian
• 9.2% Black or African-American
• 2.7% Two or More Races
• 0.2% American Indian and Alaska Native
• 0.2% Other
• 0.0% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander

There are 7,680 total occupied housing units in the area and it is estimated that 59.8% of them are owner occupied and the remaining 40.2% are renter-occupied. Housing values are strong, with 70.3% of homes worth at least $300,000.

The population is well educated with 45.4% of residents over 25 holding a bachelor’s degree and 18.4% with a graduate or professional degree. More than a third of residents are employed in managerial or professional occupations.

Herndon resides in Fairfax County, the second wealthiest county in the U.S., and the first county to reach a six-figure median income. Herndon is no exception; the median household income was $100,399 according to the 2010-2014 American Community Survey.

The town is part of an area called the Dulles Technology Corridor because of the presence of many technology and defense companies. The top three employers in the area (with at least 500 employees) are Booz Allen Hamilton Inc., Exelis Inc., and Fannie Mae.